We started things out mourning the loss of a great piece of Facebook tech. We then looked toward the future, and how to educate it. Things nearly careened out of control for a little while, but we avoided an accident. We wrapped it all up with a nutritious machined made burger. We also mentioned HTC spinning off their VR department, Spotify getting testy with Apple and Google increasing the bandwidth to Japan.
This week represents week 1 of a 2 week series. In this part, we take a look back at 2014. What was the big news? How did we do on our predictions? Predictably, we did pretty well with Apple, Facebook and Samsung. Surprisingly, Google through us some curveballs. It’s a good show to listen to, and don’t forget to catch our predictions next week.
James gets a Nest Thermostat and Protect, Matthew gets an LG G3 and Moto 360, Mr. Rogers is the man, HP is officially not better together, GT Advanced files for bankruptcy, the NFL bans Beats from the cameras, Microsoft’s Satya Nadella doesn’t think women need a raise, Samsung is declining in revenue, Squarespace makes a pretty cool update, Airbnb is now legal in San Francisco, Lego gets called out by Greenpeace for their partnership of Shell, Jonny Ives talks about the Apple Watch, and Tesla releases a new car.
- NFL Bans Beats Headphones On Camera
- May the strong survive: Why spin-offs are the new go-to play for struggling Wall St. boards
- GT Advanced Files For Chapter 11
- Investors Are Stunned
- CEO Sold $160,000 Worth Of Stock The Day Before The iPhone 6 Event
- Apple Withheld Final $125 million Payment For Failure To Meet Objectives
- Apple Says They Were Surprised Too
- GT Won’t Give Details Because Of A Confidentiality Agreement With Apple
- GT Advanced Is Blaming Apple Specifically For Being Too Burdensome To Continue Operations
- Where does Apple Go From Here
- Samsung Sees Largest Fall In Quarterly Profits Since 2009
- This Is The New Squarespace
- San Francisco Legalizes, Regulates Airbnb
- The End Of The “.com” Tyranny
- Microsoft CEO Opens Mouth, Inserts Foot On Gender Pay Gap
- Crude spoof worked: Lego ends 50-year deal with Shell after Greenpeace video
- Musk Unveils His New Model D Teslas
- Jonny Ives Just Quoted Matthew
- Beats And Bose Settle Noise Cancellation Patent Dispute
- …Hours After Rumors Leak Of Apple Will Be Removing Bose From Apple Stores. Coincidence?
We cannot express how excited we are for the return of Homestar Runner.
We start off talking about the Lego Movie, Transformers and the World Cup. Eventually we get around to Blackberry’s square Passport, Samsung’s Android problem, things you can do with Android Wear, Satya Nadella’s plan for Microsoft, the FAA’s take on Planesharing and AirPooler, Shimamura growing Lettuce in Japan with GE, and Elon Musk giving the Nikola Tesla $1 million.
Download #146: Typing Out Rambling Strong Bad Emails On Smartphones
Subscribe to the Furlo Bros Tech Podcast (Full Show) ( iTunes )
Watch #146: Typing Out Rambling Strong Bad Emails On Smartphones on YouTube
- BlackBerry’s Square Phone
- BlackBerry reveals why the Passport is hip to be square: It’s all about the spreadsheets
- Far From Languishing BlackBerry’s Stock Has Nearly Doubled This Year
- 11 Dumb and Awesome Tricks Your Android Wear Watch Can Already Do
- iPhone 6’s Crystal Sapphire Screen Undergoes It’s First Review
- The FAA Is Deciding If Planesharing Apps Are Legal
- Windows Phone Sales Are Collapsing
- Samsung: Standards Setters vs Standards Followers
- Smartphones weigh on Samsung Electronics as guidance disappoints
- The Smartphone Adoption Rate Is Crazy
- The Return Of Homestar Runner Is Imminent
- Japan Grows Lettuce In an Old Sony Factory
- Elon Musk Will Donate A Million Dollars To The Tesla Museum
- Satya Nadella’s Email to Employees: Bold Ambition & Our Core
- The three most important things in Satya Nadella’s mega-memo
- Satya Nadella’s Microsoft Vision is Strikingly Different From Steve Ballmer’s Microsoft Vision
If there’s anything you get from this show, that should be it.
Satya Nadella gets the nod to build a new Microsoft… out of LEGOs (PS. The LEGO movie is amazing!)
We also talk about Flappy Bird, an air powered car called AirPod, EVE: Valkyrie with Oculus Rift, At&t vs. T-Mobile, Apple’s Sapphire Crystal manufacturing, new TLDs and Twitter’s growth problem.
- Developer Behind ‘Flappy Bird,’ The Impossible Game Blowing Up The App Store, Says He Just Got Lucky
- ‘Flappy Bird’ Removed from App Store by Developer
- New TLD go on sale
- Satya Nadella Named as New Microsoft CEO
- Official Press Release
- Gates is going to “step up” to roll as Founder and tech Advisor
- Nadella, Gates, Ballmer and Thompson Videos
- New Microsoft CEO faces challenges in mobile, investor relations
- With Nadella’s Appointment, The “Search CEOs” Now Run Google, Yahoo & Microsoft
- New Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella could earn $18 million next year
- Microsoft, Past and Future
- Air Powered Cars Are Here!
- Oculus Will Co-Publish EVE: Valkyrie
- Twitter’s getting destroyed in the markets today and this chart explains why
- Twitter’s Other Growth Problem: Keeping the Users It Already Has
- Appel Bought Enough Sapphire Crystal Furnaces To Make 100 Million iPhones
- Taiwanese manufacturers scramble to patent IP